The local church lies above the village, linking the village by a woodland path, and was built by public subscription and is situated between Calder Vale and Oakenclough. It was consecrated in 1863 and was dedicated to St. John the Evangelist; the church has a lovely stone pulpit which was dedicated to WJ Garnett who provided the site for the church.
Next to St. John’s church is the village primary school, Calder Vale Church of England School, which was built at the same time as the church. It is a very small school with about thirty pupils and two teachers. There is also a Methodist Chapel in the centre of the village and a village hall.
For those exploring this little corner of the Forest of Bowland, there are some lovely walks around the village, particularly along the mill path, as well as walks in the beautiful surrounding countryside. Whilst parking is very limited, being mainly for residents and mill workers, there may be some availability in the Calder Vale Country Club car park.
Nearby walk here